[lbo-talk] God's humor [was RE: Bulletin: Nothing in those square pants!]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 08:22:43 PST 2005

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com:

Emerson, weird as he was, had a pretty compelling prose style. And Whitman, imperial egomaniac that he was, wrote some beautiful poetry.

--

It's been a long time since I've read Whitman, but what annoyed me about him was roughly the same thing I noticed in Emerson -- the attempt to deny suffering in their "profundity." (Maybe I'm not expressing this right.) The equate Englightenment with well-being. For someone who is a fan of Baudelaire amd Kierkegaard, that is vacuous! :)

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!