[lbo-talk] Naked streets

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:36:12 PST 2005

Alex: it'd certainly have to be tried in baby steps.  i remember when i moved to colorado (boulder) after growing up in chicagoland and being utterly amazed that people would stop for me as i crossed mid block.  i even laughed uncontrolably as i showed some friends visiting from the flatlands how cars would simply stop and let us pass.  the same goes for SF where i'm at these days and i'll guess many parts of the west coast.  i certainly didn't have this experience when i returned to the midwest or went to NYC for a visit.

WS: I am not sure. My wife, who is otherwise patriotic and counters my anti-US rants with "we have to take our country back" had this to say on the subject: "If this was in the US there would be rampant killing and fighting. I just don't see it working here. "

I concur. I heard stories of people being afraid of biking, especially in the country side, because of pick-up trucks trying to push them off the road or object being thrown at them. Each time I drive to PA I usually encounter aggressive drivers (usually pick up trucks and kindred redneckmobiles) speeding, tailgating, cutting people off, flashing fingers, etc.

I would say that on average US-ers are the most rude drivers after Eastern Europeans and Italians http://users.pandora.be/stefdirrix/flash/italy.htm

Wojtek