[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 4 11:24:35 PST 2005

>Why? If, say, a bus driver drives his bus recklessly, or if a
>doctor performs a crappy procedure in a reckless manner - most
>people would agree that these workers should face a disciplinary or
>even legal action for their miscounduct. Why are the symbol
>manipulating professions different?
>
>I am just posing it as a hypothetical question. I understand that
>Churchill is being singled out and what's at stake here is not his
>sloppy writing but censorship - which does require a strong defence.
>But let's suppose that a university does institute a fairly balanced
>system of punishments for mental / research workers who willfully
>publish crap. Why is this wrong?
>
>Wojtek

Careful what you wish for. There are a number of public school teachers here. Do you think that comments made here -- including yours -- look any better than Ward Churchill's essay -- in the eyes of Fox News, state senators and representatives, university regents and trusties? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>