[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 4 17:29:02 PST 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>As Yoshie has argued, that makes pretty bad politics -- but not I think
>as bad politics as the somewhat sticky moralism or almost-Victorian
>purism of those on this list who are hastening to prove their purity by
>damning Churchill as "crap" or "as bad as the imperialists" et cet. I
>hope none of these politically chaste polemicists dare, ever, to use the
>charge of purism against other leftists.

It's not a matter of purity - Churchill's essay is going to be used to discredit critiques of imperialism for a long time. Part of hegemony is getting to choose the annointed leaders of the opposition, and the bourgeoisie is going to do that with Churchill. Which is very bad for people trying to do non-histrionic critiques of imperialism and genocide.

Doug