[lbo-talk] Indian Finance Minister Chidambaram slams rich nations for farm subsidies

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 02:23:22 PST 2005

Chidambaram slams rich nations for farm subsidies

[World News]: London, Feb 4 : India's Finance Minister P. Chidambaram hit out at the world's richest nations saying they are in "total violation" of their WTO obligations, a transgression that was denying other countries the benefits of globalisation.

Addressing a meeting of investors and academics at London's Guildhall Thursday, Chidambaram said: "The developed countries, through their agricultural subsidies, have kept prices at such a level that we are not able to export our farm produce."

"The developed countries haven't kept up their obligations on this. This is a total violation of WTO obligations," said Chidambaram, who is in London to address a major international conference, Advancing Enterprise 2005, Friday.

The conference will be held alongside the annual meeting of the finance ministers of the Group of Seven industrialised nations.

http://news.newkerala.com/world-news/?action=fullnews&id=68382

-- Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

-- Shakespeare * TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org