[lbo-talk] definitive evidence on the housing bubble

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 09:53:04 PST 2005

In an: ----- Original Message ----- From: Dennis Redmond To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 8:46 PM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] definitive evidence on the housing bubble

Dennis Redmond quotes Doug Henwood:

>Why aren't you filing for bankruptcy?

I may have to pretty soon. It's the darndest thing -- intellectually, I know I shouldn't worry, but subconsciously I worry anyway. An entirely objective process, like watching a lab rat in a maze reacting to cheese.

Realistically, of course, my access to credit is very much a sign of my white, male, upper middle-class privilege -- lots of people have it inconceivably worse than me. And yet when I consider all the rage and depression I've gone through over the past five years as a marginalized academic/litgeek, then the Terror War makes that much more sense -- people are hurting all over in the US, they're losing what little they had, and the oiligarchy is channeling that pain into an endless spiral of death and destruction.

Somehow, the Left has to tap into and reclaim that energy, channel it into a different direction.

-- DRR

Then... On February 04, 2005 3:21 PM , Doug Henwood < dhenwood at panix.com > raised the antenna to broadcast depth and busted *this* wacky shit out into the Matrix:

<...> Dennis Redmond wrote:

>Somehow, the Left has to tap into and reclaim that energy, channel it into
>a different direction.

Yup. We gotta direct the hate better.

Doug =======

L: Think Y.I.P., not pl/pd/trots/ad nauseum. I watched those jokers going at it in the '60s... There was more than enough hate of lefties, by lefties.

The nihlism of the left has always bored me, as well.

No more martyrs.

Sometimes I have flashbacks reading this list. Then I re-read The '60s: Years of Hope Days of Rage, Todd Gitlin, Bantam 1987, delete 50% of the day's [lbo-talk] posts, and laugh my M/Fing ass off.

"They understood that you didn't have to attack

the fortress anymore. You could just surround it,

make faces at the people inside and let them have

nervous breakdowns and destroy themselves."

-- Norman Mailer

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/2005