[lbo-talk] Asia rising.

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 08:09:20 PST 2005

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of uvj at vsnl.com

This is not completely implausible. However, after the fSU launched the sputnik there was great deal speculation about the Soviets overtaking the West. The scenarios about the emerging Japanese superstate were very popular at one stage. We know the fate of the fSU and Japan. Now we get scenarios about China or BRIC etc. There is no development without crises and China and India are no exceptions to this rule. I am somewhat wary of such scenarios for year 2050.

Ulhas

Yeah, good old fashioned Keynesian uncertainty precludes and or humbles any conjectures we can make regarding the growth dynamics and 'deep integration' processes of China and India re 2050. Seems to me the thorniest problems will be, alas, in the realm of finance. Forex is only part of this larger story of capacity/competence building within those institutions in China/India. The fact that so many very bright students come from those two countries to learn finance in the US frightens the hell out of me, but perhaps I'm being unreasonably skeptical.

Here's a list of the corporations that are members of the US-China Business Council. I see no reason for the membership to shrink anytime soon:

http://www.uschina.org/member_companies.html

What we're hearing from Congress is embarrassing for US members on this list. Non-US-er's should feel free to interpret it for what it is; whining, jingoist grandstanding meant for domestic consumption. Part of the greenhouse gases emitted from the DC swamp..........

Ian