[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

philion at stolaf.edu philion at stolaf.edu
Sun Feb 6 09:27:51 PST 2005

Nathan writes: "The problem is that you see no hatefulness in telling families that they have no right to justice because their dead loves ones -- many of them working class, many lower-level administrativestaff - were "imperialists."

Yeah, this is a Marc Cooper kind of tactic, distort what someone writes and then argue against that distortion. Honest debate at least required acknowledging that Churchill's argument was not against working class persons in that building, nor lower level administrators. If that is how you read his argument, you've plainly experienced problems of reading comprehension. Now mind you, lest you distort *my* view of Churchill's argument, even that having been said I find the argument less than helpful politically speaking. However, if you want to argue that Churchill is arguing that the working class persons in the building had it coming,...that's plainly not the case. It's odd that you would believe that, given that you're a well educated lawyer/scholar/activist who shouldn't experience such lapses in reading comprehension.

"This indifference to suffering of those families by that sector of the left was what alientated lot of people from the antiwar movement."

Yeah, I know, when I see those 911 Peaceful Tomorrows folks, I just think to myself, "self-haters".