[lbo-talk] academic freedom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 6 10:14:05 PST 2005

[a friend who wishes to remain anonymous asked me to forward this post]

In my experience there is a noxious trickle-down effect too, even for those of us radical academics who don't overtly teach or write about "war on terror" (trademark) issues. I recently lost my job at a major state university. More than one of my colleagues (sic) who voted against retaining me explicitly commented that my publishing "activist" articles in "unorthodox" outlets "uneccessarily" puts the department in a vulnerable spot when the administration is wielding the budget-cutting axe.

JLG (anonymous)