[lbo-talk] Right on Mr. Churchill part 1

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 6 10:24:26 PST 2005

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>On the other hand, let's not kid ourselves that most of our `jobs' are
>in fact devoted to supporting and promulgating the evil Empire and its
>neoliberal capitalist pig hegemony---mine included (when I was still
>working). That's what `jobs' tend to be in the Empire.

Ok, so what are we supposed to do about this? Stop working? Find some niche to hide in and feel superior to everyone else? Maybe hound the others, make them feel guilty for being unreflective cogs, and end up making them hate your politics? Hope that someone blows you up? Shrug and say, "We're all guilty, so what can I do?" and go about your business? Ward Churchill gets a paycheck from the state of Colorado - does that make him guilty too? I don't get what you do with this sort of argument.

Doug