[lbo-talk] 9/11 censorship

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 6 10:32:50 PST 2005

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

> Restricting free expression of the editing of public information which
> as banning of books and movies.
> schools.cbe.ab.ca/b836/curriculum/social/socialgloss.html

Speaking as a librarian, censorship is something mostly practiced by governments or states to exercise control of free speech. Some analogies could be made to argue that censorship can be used by other insitutions or people with lots of power, such as when Google didn't index Indymedia, this cutting off Indymedia from most of the Internet users. But for the most part, censorship is something conducted by governments.

As the moderator of several discussion boards, I, like Doug, get accused of being a censor. This is a retarded charge by idiots who don't understand what real censorship is. These are the kinds of people who think that if a publication rejects their poorly written rant, that this is censorship also. What I've learned to do is tune out these stupid people.

Doug has a right to moderate this list. The people who've joined this list consented to its rules and methods by simply signing up. If you don't like Doug's moderation, you can complain to him or you can leave the list and start your own, but don't misuse the word "censorship" to vent your anger over Doug's moderation.

Chuck