[lbo-talk] Re:God's Humour

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Feb 6 11:04:21 PST 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Chris Doss wrote:

> > Ulysses is the greatest book ever written in the

> > English language. Tropic of Cancer is narcissistic crap.

> In case you didn't catch that, WK, Chris bitchslapped you

> twice. (Add mine, by the way: I can't believe you went there,

> as my teenage daughter says. Molly's soliloquy is one of the

> most amazing passages in modern literature; T of C, on the

> other hand--)

1. Youse punks can't bitchslap me; I'm a construction worker. It'd be like y'all bitchslapping a ghost, or a rumor. 2. If you read extra carefully you'll see that I made no representation concerning the comparative merit of Ulysses and Tropic of Cancer. "Molly's soliloquy is one of the most amazing passages in modern literature," oh really? wow, I thought I was the only one who liked it. "Tropic of Cancer is narcissistic crap," no! Well, come to think of it, yes. Obviously. But it's _good_ narcissistic crap (imh, h, ho, ymmv, etc., etc.). The point I was hoping to make was that neither Tropic of Cancer nor Ulysses are rightly judged by their value as stiffeners, that's all.

yrs wdk