[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Feb 6 13:20:43 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: <philion at stolaf.edu>

Nathan writes: "The problem is that you see no hatefulness in telling families that they have no right to justice because their dead loves ones -- many of them working class, many lower-level administrativestaff - were "imperialists."

-Yeah, this is a Marc Cooper kind of tactic, distort what someone writes -and then argue against that distortion.

And yet you distort what I say, since that last comment was not about what you wrote but about the experience of the antiwar meeting in NYC where a minority faction destroyed the coalition rather than allow a sentence calling for justice for those murdered in the towers. After I wrote that, you wrote "You attribute 'hate' to the political argument. I see a political position that you disagree with alone."

You see it as merely a "political position" that those murdered were imperialists with no right to have those who murdered them brought to justice, while I see a callous hateful position.

"This indifference to suffering of those families by that sector of the left was what alientated lot of people from the antiwar movement."

-Yeah, I know, when I see those 911 Peaceful Tomorrows folks, I just think -to myself, "self-haters".

Not who I was referring to-- you are the one distorting other peoples positions in your attempt to defend the indefensible.

Nathan Newman