[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Feb 6 13:28:14 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

Nathan wrote:
>And most of the hundreds of people
>gathered at the time didn't return to antiwar organizing for another
>two years until the leadup to the Iraq invasion-- losing a lot of
>momentum that might have helped stop that war.

-If Nathan's anecdote is an accurate report of what happened, it's one -more example of the main problem of liberals in the United States. -Liberals always blame their own failure on those whom they regard as -"the Far Left."

Yep, when the far left goes into every meeting and prefers to destroy the organization if it has the wrong position, then yes, I blame them. In this case, that "hate left" minority (which was competing with other leftists) lost the votes over the initial position on seeking justice for those murdered, but waited around until late when most people had gone home, forced a revote and eliminated the position. Yes, deliberating fucking with democratic process does alienate people and is a cause of the left failing.

THe problem with you Yoshie is that you accept no responsiblity for the far left fucking things up. There is usually no single cause to failure in politics, and liberals make big mistakes, strategically and ideologically, but so does the far left. And with the antiwar effort, despite having public opinion AGAINST the war initially, they managed to lose that support. That's a failure which the antiwar movement still has not really dealt with, other than to blame everyone other than the organizers.

Oh yeah-- and it's so helpful that with the WWP splitting, we automatically get a new antiwar coalition-- http://www.troopsoutnow.com/ - built largely on the "success" of the Million Worker March. The fact that "coalitions" reflect the internecine splits of far left factional groups is just one more reason the somuch of left organizing is so pathetic at this point.

Nathan Newman