[lbo-talk] 9/11 censorship

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 15:41:48 PST 2005

> Speaking as a librarian, censorship is something
> mostly practiced by
> governments or states to exercise control of free
> speech. Some analogies
> could be made to argue that censorship can be used
> by other insitutions
> or people with lots of power, such as when Google
> didn't index
> Indymedia, this cutting off Indymedia from most of
> the Internet users.
> But for the most part, censorship is something
> conducted by governments.

I'd add that the government does most of its censorship at the behest of the corporate interests that manipulate it. This is why we see extensive censorship in mainstream private media in the US, where the worldview reflects the aspirations of the would-be and actually-existing capitalist class. Private media allows only a narrow worldview when it comes to the reporting of specific events, and editing practices prioritize the issues of interest to each medium's main source of revenue, i.e., private sector advertising.

Thanks! Good night. --adx

===== "Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids