[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Feb 7 08:06:40 PST 2005

Doug Henwood: Let's remind ourselves who Eichmann was. This is from his Encylopedia Britannica entry:

^^^^^

CB: Oddly enough Adolph Hitler's biography is sort of regular guyish and underdogish. He was a starving and frustrated and often unemployed artist, who had to shit jobs like many of those in the WTC. I think he was sweeping streets at some point. He was an infantry grunt soldier in the most horrendous ground war in the history of humanity to that point, and possible still of all times. Then a jailbird after he tried to exercise his "will to power", a la Nietschze. Hitler did not come from the privileged strata. He wasn't even from the police, military and state repressive strata, like Eichmann.

Actually, Hitler was sort of an artist in terms of self-identification. :>( ( So was John Wilkes Booth :>). I mean , I know Hitler didn't have much talent as a painter. I saw one of his paintings on television and it looked drab to me. (But what do I know. I like Picasso and Matisse). The critic , of course, panned it. But a lot of starving artists "out there" lack talent. We can't exactly tell them, "well,you are not an artist." Anyway, Hitler was sort of a street brawling, rebel, with pretentions of being an artist, shall we say, not a cop-type.

Speaking in analogy, at a certain point in his life ,Hitler would have been a "janitor in the WTC". Eichmann would have been "working in the Pentagon."

Disclaimer: I am not trying to "paint" a sympathetic picture of Hitler ! His "Kampf" was no excuse for what he did later. Signed:CDB

I guess I should make my point more explicit so it will _not_ be taken as pro-Hitler. I am more anti-Hitler as Chancellor than anybody. Goddamn Hitler ! ( Now there's a tautology for ya).

But that doesn't mean that Hitler's life didn't follow the course of a radical metamorphosis from a regular German guy, working class stiff of the early 1900's to the monster known to history now.

On the other hand, this does not mean that a Hitler would have deserved to have been blown up in some building by well-educated, petit bourgeois, anti-colonialist fighters ( members of some reactionary, indigenous cult; Buthelesi types) from the German held colony of Southwest Africa ( Namibia)or elsewhere when Hitler was the equivalent of a janitor in the WTC and a war veteran in 1919 or whatever. He would _not_ have individually _deserved_ it. He was not _guilty_ (then). Ironically, though, we now know with historical hindsight, that had some imaginary Namibians done him in, they would have had the right one, baby, not because he deserved it, but pragmatically because it might have saved millions of lives. ( This is an historical ,hypothetical counterfactual , and technically incorrect thereby. Except for on Star Trek, nobody is going to go back and off Hitler before he came to power).

It does suggest that there are contradictory aspects to the "regular guy" status of people in the belly of the beast. There may be more _potential_ bad guys among the multitudes than it seems at first. Again this does not mean they _deserve_ pre-emptive punishment or anything. It does mean that personality types created under capitalism have _potential_ for serving in a wide range of roles within the system. Many of the underdogs are connected to the topdogs potentially in ways that are not always obvious. As another analogy, consider Sambo the character in _Uncle Tom's Cabin_, for example.