[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 7 09:58:21 PST 2005

> Nathan Newman wrote:
> > I'm
> > not going to rehash the weeks after 911, but I saw a lot of really hateful
> > and heartless comments about the victims and their responsibility for their
> > own deaths. I was against the war in Afghanistan but I understood why the
> > left's position alienated so many folks and drove them into the pro-war
> > camp or at least into the camp of refusing to do anything about it.

For every heartless comment about the victims I heard at least fifty heartless comments concerning getting revenge against Arabs collectively. Why don't you try directing some of your righteous anger against them? Why do you have such a great understanding for people being alienated against the left in this issue? This is one of the reasons I don't have that big of an issue with Churchills error. His error was no worse in any respect.

Did anyone actually do anything concrete to further the cause of those who felt the victims deserved their fate? No. Did anyone do anything concrete to support the idea that Arabs deserved punishment collectively? Yes. Arabs in this country were beaten, fired, at least one killed, and thousands rounded up an interred for a brief period. There was thousands of times more hate on the "popular" side.

You are all sound and fury against those few holding a misguided view from the far left but you don't seem to be anywhere near as tweaked by the hordes holding an equally misguided view from a more populist stand-point. Why is that?

John Thornton