[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Feb 7 11:34:21 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net>

> Nathan Newman wrote:
> > I'm
> > not going to rehash the weeks after 911, but I saw a lot of really
hateful
> > and heartless comments about the victims and their responsibility for
their
> > own deaths. I was against the war in Afghanistan but I understood why
the
> > left's position alienated so many folks and drove them into the pro-war
> > camp or at least into the camp of refusing to do anything about it.

>For every heartless comment about the victims I heard at least fifty
heartless
>comments concerning getting revenge against Arabs collectively.

At progressive meetings? I doubt it. Everyone I knew in the progressive movement was condemning such comments and actions. The only division was between those who also condemned hateful comments from the left, and those on the extremes who made those hateful comments or their allies who justified it.

This is the typical excuse. Someone else was hateful so it justifies hate by people allied with us. Hate breeds hate. It's all bullshit and reflects the moral blindness of those who justify themselves on that basis.

Nathan Newman