[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 15:09:38 PST 2005

At 05:43 PM 2/7/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>In my opinion, all three ideas above should be criticized and rejected,
>>but criticisms of the empire (as well as criticisms of Israel) are often
>>couched in moral terms that partake of one or more of them. For the last
>>several years, we have seen outpourings of books and articles critical of
>>US imperialism (and Israel), but class analyses of the empire, especially
>>ones that clarify American workers' positions in it (or ones that clarify
>>Jewish workers' positions in Israel), are hard to come by, perhaps
>>because of the waning of Marxism. That's a big problem we need to rectify.
>
>I couldn't agree more. So how do we start? I'd really love a rigorous
>analysis of just how much imperialism contributes to the U.S. standard of
>living today, but I don't know of any. Any ideas?
>
>Doug

Isn't it a moot point? When I read 1]., I said, "Yeah, so? It's true." But then I read that Yoshie wanted crits of that position. eh?

Well, as I recall, Yoshie and others have frequently argued that it would be better to focus imperialism's negative effects. I could be wrong in my characterization, though, and I"m sure Yoshie will correct me. But, I think she's made similar points about racism and sexism, arguing against analyses that show how whites benefit from racism and males benefit from gender oppression. This is not to say that they don't, but taken all together, you could also show how what appears to be advantageous, is really not. The example works best with gender oppression.

You can say that men benefit, as a group: privilege, higher wages, etc. etc. But that's too narrow, because it doesn't consider the ways men suffer under the current system: shorter life spans, higher stress levels, etc. etc. I'm sure there's more.

Anyway, I just recall a HYOOOOOOOOOGE debate about this issue because, I think, Yoshie and others took the same tack re: racism -- causing a bit of controversy on the list.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling