[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

philion at STOLAF.EDU philion at STOLAF.EDU
Mon Feb 7 15:07:51 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>In my opinion, all three ideas above should be criticized and
>rejected, but criticisms of the empire (as well as criticisms of
>Israel) are often couched in moral terms that partake of one or more
>of them. For the last several years, we have seen outpourings of
>books and articles critical of US imperialism (and Israel), but
>class analyses of the empire, especially ones that clarify American
>workers' positions in it (or ones that clarify Jewish workers'
>positions in Israel), are hard to come by, perhaps because of the
>waning of Marxism. That's a big problem we need to rectify.

I couldn't agree more. So how do we start? I'd really love a rigorous analysis of just how much imperialism contributes to the U.S. standard of living today, but I don't know of any. Any ideas?

Doug

--I second the motion, this is ten times more interesting than obsession on who 'hates' America on the left.

I think Wood and Harvey both have written good recent books on this topic, or at least attempted to.

Steve