[lbo-talk] Allure of the Maple Leaf

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:53:36 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:03:22 +0000, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [More and more Americans agree, that giant sucking sound is the USA itself.]
>
> February 8, 2005
>
>> Some Bush Foes Vote Yet Again, With Their Feet: Canada or Bust

> America is in no danger of emptying out. But even a small loss of residents,
> many of whom cite a deep sense of political despair, is a significant event
> in the life of a nation that thinks of itself as a place to escape to. ...
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/national/08depart.html?hp>
>
> Carl

I know you are not advocating this; but I've ran into a few people who do.

Moving to Canada to escape the U.S. strikes me as about as sensible as moving to Austria to escape Hitler. If the U.S. really goes the direction many of us fear, does anyone really believe an essentially unarmed nation on its immediate border will be a refuge? Actually in todays world I don't think anyplace is safe. Where do you hide from

global warming? From nuclear war? However poor the odds, better to fight here in the U.S. where the key levers of power still are.