[lbo-talk] Allure of the Maple Leaf

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 8 18:47:53 PST 2005

Gar wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:03:22 +0000, Carl Remick <carlremick at
>hotmail.com> wrote:
>> [More and more Americans agree, that giant sucking sound is the USA itself.]
>> > February 8, 2005
>
>> America is in no danger of emptying out. But even a small loss of residents,
>> many of whom cite a deep sense of political despair, is a significant event
>> in the life of a nation that thinks of itself as a place to escape to. ...
>> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/national/08depart.html?hp>
>> > Carl
>
>I know you are not advocating this; but I've ran into a few people who do.
>
>Moving to Canada to escape the U.S. strikes me as about as sensible
>as moving to Austria to escape Hitler. If the U.S. really goes the
>direction many of us fear, does anyone really believe an essentially
>unarmed nation on its immediate border will be a refuge? Actually
>in todays world I don't think anyplace is safe. Where do you hide
>from global warming? From nuclear war? However poor the odds,
>better to fight here in the U.S. where the key levers of power still
>are.

True, but it would be interesting to think which country is likely to come out relatively unscathed in the event of a US economic meltdown (if the housing bubble bursts and/or the balance of financial terror gets upset). Which country is secular, relatively prosperous, rich in fossil fuels, and the least dependent on the US economy? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>