[lbo-talk] intelligent design

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Feb 9 09:22:32 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> However, the political debate about teaching "intelligent design" in public
> schools has nothing to do with questions concerning the foundations of human
> knowledge. Our schools often struggle to teach basic skills, such as
> reading, writing and arithmetic, so the boundaries of human knowledge are
> the least of the educators' concerns. This debate is not about knowledge,
> but about power.
>
> A great number of people in this land were left behind the technological,
> scientific and cultural progress the world has made. They do not understand
> the complexity of modern world or science, and dread it. They are a natural
> prey of right wing demagogues who manipulate their fears to launch political
> attacks on the so-called "liberal intellectuals."

IMHO: you are correct in that this is about power, and that a lot of people are left behind by technology/science. but it is too kind to the modern world and science to suggest that they are about progress, and the masses are left behind and hence dread them. the level of power wielded by scientists/experts over knowledge is not justified and that is what many [in the public] dread. experts/technologists often present their position as objective and true, while at the same time displacing/denying (often diffuse/diverse) traditions of knowledge. they do so not using truly airtight arguments, but using any of a number of rhetorical/political means, including a sneering elitism. again, IMHO, you do not need to look much farther than various posts on this list (and other leftist outlets), including the vicious infighting, for examples.

[more in a response on the sokal thread]

--ravi