[lbo-talk] Churchill -- the ugliness deepens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 9 10:20:12 PST 2005

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>Over at Marxmail, everyone's favorite Uncle Lou

A source world famous for getting his facts straight!

<http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/003208.html>

Mysterious denunciation Posted by Chris

I'm one of the objects of denunciation in an article by Louis Proyect on marxmail . Proyect is disgusted with various former editors of the New Left Review who have supported "humanitarian intervention" here and there. It is certainly true that I did (and still do) support the intervention in Kosovo, but Proyect has much more specific allegations:

In October 2000, the NLR asked Bertram to write an article on the anti-Milosevic revolt. However, editor Susan Watkins nixed the article since it implied political support for the forced absorption of Yugoslavia into Western European economic and political institutions.

The NLR never asked me to write such an article, I've never written such an article (asked or not), and so Susan Watkins couldn't have "nixed" it. In fact, I've had no contact whatsoever with NLR since 1993. I don't know whether the facts adduced by Proyect against other people in his piece are accurate Š.

(Thanks to Henry for drawing my attention to this.)

[UPDATE: Proyect has now edited the piece so that Marko Attila Hoare is referred to as the author of the rejected NLR piece. I hope that's correct]