[lbo-talk] Hats (was Message from Louis Proyect)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 17:53:48 PST 2005

According to Neil Steinbereg's Hatless Jack,

http://www.suntimes.com/output/books/sho-sunday-steinberg02.html

which I recently completed, the story about men's is more complicated. It's not WWII or Jack Kennedy. Steinberg cites evidence that hat-wearing was in decline from the teens through the sixties. There laments from hatters about the "fad" of going bareheaded among college students, schemes for hooking men on hats, the collapse of enforced hat-wearing, etc. Ns doesn'ta ctually have a theory as opposedto a collection of observations and facts, but thesea re amusing and entertaining and food for thought. It's really a puzzling issue in social history, since hats were required wear for a thousand years or more. Ties are probably next, along with business wear. (Disapproved at my law firm except for court.)

jks