[lbo-talk] Hats and Ties (was Message from Louis Proyect)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:01:27 PST 2005

>From: "Leigh Meyers" <leighcmeyers at yahoo.com>

Don't let me give the impression I'm the Duke of Windsor exiled to to the 'burbs. Out pushing the lawnmower I'm as demotic as the next guy in headgear. Like most USers, I guess, I've got a shelf full of corporate-logo-encrusted baseball caps picked up as free marketing detritus at some time or another. One of my favorites is the Microsoft baseball cap (plus T-shirt and pen) that a Microsoft help desk rep sent to me in lieu of fixing my software problem. I feel like a jerk wearing this cap and advertising Bill Gates' crappy software on my forehead, so I restrict the cap's use to yard chores when I'm sure only the squirrels will see me wearing it.

BTW, one of the amazing developments of my lifetime is just that: people's willingness to turn the front of their heads into free advertising space for corporations. That would have been unthinkable to earlier generations.

Carl