[lbo-talk] Churchill -- the ugliness deepens

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:05:50 PST 2005

At 12:55 pm -0500 9/2/05, Doug Henwood wrote:
>KJ wrote:
>
>>Some among you will be better able to evaluate -- the charge is now
>>academic fraud, which removes it from the realm of freedom of speech
>
>Removes it? The controversy isn't over Churchill's standards of
>scholarship, but over whether he should be denied a forum to speak
>and denied a job because of odious or unpopular opinions.

If they stick to the "little eichmanns" thing, then, yes, it remains within the realm of freedom of speech. However, if they shift it to this -- and if it is not baseless -- then it's a different game.

I had emailed the U Col chancellor on the freedom of speech issue, hoping that foreign admiration for US freedom of speech rights might help.

kj