[lbo-talk] South & North/Reparations

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 10:23:06 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski:

> It is tantamount to holding the current Russian government
> accountable for Nazi crimes on the grounds that the Soviet
> Union occupied part of German territory. Pure lunacy

Don't be silly. Postwar Germany was held responsible for paying reparations, as was Japan. And there were Jewish and Roma taxpayers in postwar Germany, too.

We can argue back and forth about the specifics of reparations or their feasibility, though I'm not going to get into that right now. But the fact remains that there's plenty of precedent for it. Your argument against them -- and Justin Schwartz's -- is therefore a red herring.