[lbo-talk] Lynn Stewart convicted of aiding terrorists

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Feb 11 14:07:52 PST 2005

-And Nathan, I'm surprised you're not playing the partisan card. As a -radical lawyer told me & Liza over dinner a couple of months ago, a -Dem admin probably wouldn't have indicted Stewart. Combine this -conviction with tort reform and you see a real plan to strip the -justice system of any of its decent and democratic aspects and turn -it into a pure instrument of repression and plutocracy.

While many other aspects of Bush authoritarianism probably would not have happened under a Dem administration, I'm not sure that Stewart wouldn't have been indicted in any case. In the wake of 911, a President Gore would have felt pressured not to be seen as coddling the lawyer of the guy responsible for the first assault on the World Trade Center.

-- Nathan