[lbo-talk] Cop work (was Message from Louis Proyect)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 21:41:38 PST 2005

At 12:09 AM 2/12/2005, John Adams wrote:
>On Feb 12, 2005, at 1:21 AM, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>>Suggest EMT as a career for your son and see what he says. Never a
>>shortage of work in that
>>field and it can be tremendously satisfying to save lives.
>
>I read this recently and thought it quite good, but odd to see its library
>classification inside the cover as Fiction--First Responders or words to
>that effect:
>http://www.powells.com/s?kw=The+Last+Hot+Time&Search.x=0&Search.y=0
>
> John A

you know what's another good read? _Fighting Fire_ by Caroline Paul. She had a degree in journalism from Standford but ended up becoming a fire fighter. She started out just doing it to see what it was like when the companies opened their ranks to women after a lawsuit. She ended up loving the work and stuck with it. She occasionally discusses cla... erm uh strata/gender issues.

After years of reading only for school, it was the first book I read for pleasure. Followed by Ehrenreich's _The Worst Years of our Lives_ which had me in stitches 'til I practically wet myself giggling and guffawing in bed 'til 4 a.m.

I will respond about my son another time. Right now, I'm kind of mulling it all over. I don't think he's terribly serious, but I can see him doing it if he continues to drift, wondering what to do with his life, looking for something that he feels has some sort of stability and respect. The whole male identity crisis that I'm sure some of you went through as kids. Hell, y'all are probbly still going through it. :)

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling