[lbo-talk] Churchill's complaint

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 08:43:15 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:33 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Churchill's complaint

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>In politics, it not only what you mean, it's
>what you say, and even what you almost say.
>By Churchill's classification, if some members
>of this list happened to work in the WTC, they
>would fall into the category of "little Eichmanns."
>In the Spring before 9-11, I did a talk in the
>WTC in front of a class taught by the very Marxist
>Tom Dickins. We could have been LEs too.

Yup. I talked to Tom's class several times in the WTC. My mother worked there (though she retired long ago). My upstairs neighbor was killed there.

I almost said I'm surprised, then I thought again and realized I shouldn't be, that it's rarely noted in political discourse that those of us who were most directly affected by 9/11 - New Yorkers - are among the least bellicose in the U.S. From the first, there really wasn't much bellowing for revenge coming from the city that was hit. Most of it comes from a heartland that's never going to be hit by anything other than a tornado. The whole anti-terror thing is more about xenophobia and paranoia than self-defense.

Doug ~~~~~

It was a discussion of the antiwarcreep/soldier "spitting myth".

Irony abounds.

----- Original Message ----- From: Jack R. Lebowitz To: NEWSROOM-L at LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 2:38 PM Subject: Re: [NEWSROOM-L] Texas myths/correcting histories

I don't recall anyone in military uniform participating in those brawls, though there were some Vietnam VVAW-protestor types in uniform at some demos, but they were on the protestor side as I recall. Any vets screaming at protestor types from the sidelines tended to be WWII vets with their little VFW caps.

The scuffles between construction workers in lower Manhattan and protestors were famous, frequent and well-documented. I'm sure you can search the New York Times archives or Lexis/Nexis from 1969 - 1972 and find scores of articles about construction workers beating on protestors. (Nixon and the right-wing of the time encouraged this culture war violence).

In one of history's many unremarked ironies, most of the Manhattan construction workers involved that I'm discussing here were working on the (then mostly derided) World Trade Center towers. <...>

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.306 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005