[lbo-talk] Stalin returns!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 09:01:22 PST 2005

Well, a statue of him returns anyway (along with Churchill and Roosevelt). Actually it's one of Tsereteli's better works, aesthetically speaking.

Click on photo for larger image: http://www.ogoniok.com/win/200506/06-04-05.html

I'm too lazy to translate the text, but here's a hebephrenic machine-translated version of it:

MY STALIN In Saint Petersburg casting of new large work of sculptor Zurab Tsereteli has ended. It is a monument to " the big three " leaders of an antihitlerite coalition: Roosevelt - Churchill - Stalin. Authorities wanted to establish a monument on mountain Poklonnoj, but have changed the mind. Now, probably, a monument will establish in Crimea. Zurab Tsereteli explains these metamorphosises:

Let's begin with that in Moscow establishes or does not establish something the capital government. I can create a monument only. The monument above which I work under the order of the government of Crimea, is intended for a palace in Livadiya where in February of 1945 there passed the Yalta conference of heads of an antihitlerite coalition. The idea of a monument to me was prompted with a known photo of " the big three ", you know, where sit on a bench in the Italian court yard of a palace Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. Has made some variants, but with them while it is dissatisfied: the crude, uncompleted work. What to show? Will tell: " Tsereteli has badly made ", to abuse will begin. And in general it not mine - leaders to mould.

And Stalin to me and at all to love there is nothing. My grandfather Zurab - me in his honour have named - in 37-th have shot, mother to the death did not remove mourning. Parents of my wife subjected to repression, and many. But I not about it thought, when worked, and about history. From it you will throw out nothing. Stalin was an equal in rights member of "three", if not the most important. Why we should throw out it from our history? That idolized, we pretend, that it did not exist at all, from such attitude to history of goods to wait there is nothing.

Yes, I against cleaned monuments. I, certainly, do not stand up for that at each corner there were Lenin, Stalin's busts and so on, but good monuments - should be left works of art. Have cleaned Dzerzhinsky with Lubyanka the areas, and without him the area has become empty. Yes, it was the security officer, and our grandsons-great-grandsons already look at him only as on "monument", at them on history other sight, they already has put it, a name do not know. In France Napoleon too was the malicious genius of the country, but the relics connected to his name, monuments - all is kept. There is Karl Marx on the Theatrical area and costs to itself, about "Capital" and marxism have forgotten, there was a good emotional sculpture.

And on mountain Poklonnoj to the 60-anniversary of the Victory figures the soldier of an antihitlerite coalition of work of Vladimir Pereslavtsa will appear. I for Poklonnoj do stelles, the symbolizing twelve fronts, three fleet, a national home guard and guerrilla movement.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!