[lbo-talk] Horowitz rants

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 15 12:16:21 PST 2005

[yes, the fascist vermin are truly undoing themselves! too bad Horowitz doesn't know how to spell "site"]

Subject: America's Enemies Lie Within

Date: 15 Feb 2005 17:32:57 -0000

From: David Horowitz <info at frontpagemag.com>

- From the Desk of David Horowitz -

"I want the state gone: transform the situation to U.S. out of North America. U.S. off the planet. Out of existence altogether." -- Colorado University professor Ward Churchill, author of "On the Justice of Roosting Chickens," which includes an essay praising al Qaeda terrorists and mocking the deaths of those murdered on September 11, 2001.

Dear Fellow American,

It has finally come to light that University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill has publicly allied himself with enemies of our nation. This has shocked some, but it comes as no surprise to you and me.

That's because you and I have been on the front lines over the past two years fighting to bring academic freedom to our college and university campuses! Our National Campaign for Academic Freedom has been exposing "Ward Churchills" on campuses from coast to coast!

So first, let me thank you for your steadfast commitment and the vision you've demonstrated by helping me move this important issue off the campuses and into American living rooms.

Next, let me ask for your help to continue this fight. The Center has just published a powerful booklet that further details the link between the radical left on our campuses and those who embrace terror. It's called " Campus Support for Terrorism," and I believe it is crucial to get this booklet into the hands of as many journalists, legislators, regents, administrators and students as possible as soon as possible.

Our goal is to print at least 100,000 more booklets in the next 60 days and mail them the leading press outlets, state government representatives and our major colleges and universities' administrators and teachers.

Will you help me do that today? Will you take a moment and make a contribution right now to our National Campaign for Academic Freedom? Simply use this link and make a contribution of $25, $35, $50, $100 or more if possible.

The fact that Ward Churchill -- or any tenured professor -- can come out and glorify the murderers of innocent people is truly upsetting. But you and I know what is even more angering ...

... the fact that this is nothing new! The radical left has embedded itself on our campuses to the virtual exclusion of other voices, other ideas. The University of Colorado has known about Ward Churchill's views for more than 30 years!

In fact, Churchill wrote the essay that has everyone so upset four years ago! Churchill's peers promoted him, granted him tenure and elected him chairman of the university's Ethics Studies Department with full knowledge of his anti-American ideology.

His book, "On the Justice of Roosting Chickens" -- which contains his vile essay supporting the terrorists' attacks of September 11, 2001 -- has been nominated for the Gustavus Myers Award, a "civil rights" prize given by academics. They, too, know that Churchill's views are hateful and ignorant ...

... but his views represent a substantial segment of the academic community at Boulder and on campuses generally!

That is what we're are up against -- a powerful far left organism that prides itself on being able to inculcate young minds! Our mission is to break that grip and bring true academic freedom to our campuses.

That is what our National Campaign for Academic Freedom is all about! As I've asked again and again: How can a student get a good education if he or she is only getting half of the story? As it stands today at most schools they can't.

The remedy for this situation is not to purge the Ward Churchills from academic faculties. Their ideas are so entrenched in the university curriculum and that they can't be stamped out by firing an individual even if that were advisable. They need to be confronted intellectually. Their scholarly incompetence needs to be exposed, and students need to be presented with an alternative view of history that is closer to reality.

The irony regarding the Churchill saga is that Colorado has been the sight of one of our biggest successes. With your support, my effort led to the State of Colorado changing its policies to conform to the tenets of academic freedom.

Today I'm moving legislation in 20 additional states.

This wouldn't be possible without your support. So please, today, help again by making a special contribution to the National Campaign for Academic Freedom. We must seize the attention the Ward Churchill has brought us and use it to open more Americans' eyes to the problems we have on our campuses.

Thank you so much again for all of your support.

Sincerely,

David Horowitz, President & Founder

P.S. If you are able to send me a contribution of $25 or more today I will rush you a copy of "Campus Support for Terrorism" FREE. Whatever amount can send, though, will help. The Center has set a budget of $3.25 million for this year and a large part of that will be devoted to our powerful National Campaign for Academic Freedom. Thanks again.