[lbo-talk] Seditious Conspiracy (Re: Lynn Stewart convicted of aiding terrorists)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Feb 15 18:13:21 PST 2005

> What makes you say that?

Because you're trying to make the point that "you are what you are charged and convicted of" and Al Capone was charged and convicted of tax evasion.

> If the prosecution had enough evidence to charge Sheik Omar
> Abdel Rahman with murder, it would have charged him with that.

I don't think I'm enough of a rube to think that prosecutors, in high profile cases like this, go for the thing they think is right; they obviously go for the thing they can prove the easiest.

Thus the connection to Capone; in your words: if the prosecution had enough evidence to charge Al Capone with murder and racketeering, it would have charged him with that.

I know that a lot of times people on this list get kind of wild with their "isn't that like" claims, but I thought this one was a slam dunk.

/jordan