[lbo-talk] Re: polled while driving?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 07:08:18 PST 2005

Wojtek:

This comparison illustrates my point that car ownership in the US is not a rational choice of the means of transportation, but a response of irrational fear and need for security, and an equally irrational expression of passive aggression and domination. But very few people would admit such feelings publicly, they usually come with politically correct rationalizations (freedom, fun, convenience) supplied by marketing and pop-culture.

=====================

Oh my.

Well yes, of course it could be all that. The theory has a certain cinematic flair and is probably true in a lot of cases.

But then again, it could be that for many the job is in X and you live in Y and between X and Y no train, bus or matter teleportation booth provides a connection.

I suppose that under those circumstances you could search for another job -- one you could reach via train, bus or matter teleportation booth.

But experience has shown you can't always get what you want.

So there you are, with a job, a job you can't reach via bus, train or other means. This means you must have a car. Suddenly, instead of just being a bloke with a car, you're a near madman, desperately clutching the wheel out of fear of the unknown (perhaps even listening, at a rudely loud volume, to that accursed Rap music, scourge of the rational).

Yeah.

As much as I love the inherent drama of this unified field theory of fear crazed drivers and long to see Michael Douglass star in the film version (there he is, hunkered in his immense SUV, caught in traffic, boiling with rage and furiously writing in his journal, perhaps "Rolling Fear" would be a good working title for the script) I suspect it's a bit much.

.d.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005