[lbo-talk] Re: polled while driving?

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 08:54:40 PST 2005

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Picking up hitchhikers
> (usually for a small fee) was (and I think still is)
> widely spread. Most
> white US-ers would consider that "far too dangerous"
> - however, Blacks (at
> least in Baltimore) who use that as an alternative
> to public transit (which
> sucks) and taxis (too expensive).

Taxis and public transportation are no more viable in large sections of the US, especially outside of the Eastern corridor. I agree that there is a lot of irrationality that goes into car ownership, but a great deal of public money has gone into cutting public transportation off at the knees while propping up auto infrastructure and promoting low-density development that makes public transportation inefficient. Not to mention our famously low gas taxes. It continues today with federal money earmarked for the interstates while Amtrak is expected to make a profit. Then throw in the beloved need for flexibility on the part of employees to commute 20+ miles. Car ownership in much of the US luxury turned necessity, individually rational even while collectively insane. Nothing new there.

That said, I do think that a culture of fear and dependence encourages car use. For the past several years I've done most of my day-to-day transportation by bike, and most people seem to think this is some great feat and just can't imagine doing without a car even in dense urban areas.

> This comparison illustrates my point that car
> ownership in the US is not a
> rational choice of the means of transportation, but
> a response of irrational
> fear and need for security, and an equally
> irrational expression of passive
> aggression and domination. But very few people
> would admit such feelings
> publicly, they usually come with politically correct
> rationalizations
> (freedom, fun, convenience) supplied by marketing
> and pop-culture.

And on that note:

<http://www.nytimes.com/library/financial/071700psych-auto.html>

Andy