[lbo-talk] Churchill's Complaint: Romantic Americanism

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Feb 16 10:44:52 PST 2005

Charles Brown wrote:
> Re: Turbulo :
>> I don't see the point to all this careful parsing of Churchill's remarks.
>> Were computer programmers who worked in the WTC more culpable than janitors?
>> It's pretty obvious to me that, despite recent disclaimers, Churchill buys
>> into notions of "mass guilt" on the part of ordinary citizens of imperialist
>> countries.
>
> The American people do bear some responsibility to get their rogue state
> under control. Who else is going to do it ? The central portrait of USers as
> the main victims in this whole scene is an expression of Romantic
> Americanism.

any individual who is better positioned to gain information on the true state of things and act based on that, is more responsible than a person who is less so ... yes? i.e., not just a WTC programmer, but also me (a non-WTC programmer) is more culpable (in a sense) for US atrocities than an undocumented worker in the "windows to the world" (or whatever it was called) restaurant. i am thinking here of chomsky's essay on the responsibility of intellectuals, applied to one's social/financial status.

--ravi