[lbo-talk] Re: polled while driving?

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 12:39:06 PST 2005

--- snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> productivity. Of course,
> there were hardliners on board to make sure that
> everyone knew that Europe
> sucked, sucked, sucked. I swear, you'd have thought
> they were simply
> recycling stories of gray, drab, communist lives
> living in cramped
> apartments and waiting 2 hrs to buy a loaf of bread.
> That is, apparently,
> how bad it is in Europe --according to the cons. [1]

Were these Euro-cons? Or our wacky homegrown types?

> Also, what do you mean when you say that working a
> town or two away is an
> imposition?

You know those stories about people commuting two hours each way by train from Penn. to NYC? In the midwest I've known a number of people who drive that long. They spend four hours a day in the car just to get to work. I spent a few years in Europe and that was just unheard of.

One of the proposals in Germany that got people up in arms a couple years back was to require the unemployed to take jobs *anywhere* in the country after a year or two (this in a country the size of Oregon). I don't know if it went through, but it was a big deal.

> [1] I'd also note that, recently, a conservative
> explained that Europeans
> wouldn't be able to continue on as they do, with all
> the time off and the
> strong social safety net, because they had a high
> unemployment rate that
> could only be sustained by high levels of
> immigration. :) It just didn't

Been singing that tune for as long as I can remember.

Man, nearly five years over there, you'd think I'd be able to snag a wife or something.....