[lbo-talk] O'Reilly vs Churchill: treason? sedition?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Feb 16 10:06:27 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It's not "okay to invent a genocide that never happened," but so many
> did, that there does seem to be something nitpicky about factchecking
> individual claims. Like I said earlier, the major threat right now is
> not Churchill's inflammatory language or questionable scholarship or
> abrasiv

What's incredibly funny right now is that the right wing is trying to impugn Churchill's scholarship in an effort to get him ousted. They are pussyfooting around the academic freedom issue, os they are opting for a "find a bad footnote" strategy. This is funny because the right wing plays fast and loose with the facts. If Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, and Fox News had to document their opinions accurately, they would be offering a completely different product.

It is not a crime to get footnotes wrong or forget to source a paragraph. These things happen all the time in scholarly writing.

The right wing has bit off more than they can chew with this campaign against Churchill.

Chuck