[lbo-talk] Humanize the Enemy (Re: Churchill's complaint)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 17 07:31:02 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Would you be willing to humanize the enemy who actually commits
>terrorism, e.g., those who hijacked the airliners and killed nearly
>three thousand individuals on September 11, 2001, those who took
>hostages and beheaded them in Iraq, etc.?

They're human in the biological sense, but they committed barbarous acts - as did the U.S. military in Fallujah. What's your point here? Something quasi-Christian? Something political?

As far as I can tell, Sheikh Rahman is a pretty bad guy who belongs in jail. Are there any circs under which you'd think the USG was right to prosecute someone for planning to blow up the Lincoln Tunnel?

Doug