[lbo-talk] Re: Churchill's Complaint

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 09:22:08 PST 2005

But in today's world where the right
> has the momentum an
> dominance it has, I believe they really don't give
> much of a rat's ass about
> the left or even much more than that about
> persecuting individuals or groups
> who don't toe Bush's line – which right now is
> more than half the country –
> as much as they do about exerting pressure on public
> universities to cut and
> "excess."

Cant agree with you. This is part of the degradation of morality campaign. Limiting gay rights, for example, certainly has nothing to do with cutting "excesses", yet they are attacking that. Yes, cutting out ethnic studies, etc, may be in part driven by purely economic considerations, but let's not fall into the trap of vulgar : economics ----> superstructure. This may coexist and conflate with an economic component but it is not directly economic considerations. This is mostly driven by ideology. We are in the midst of a witch hunt.

And you don't have to agree with
> Churchill or keep quiet about
> your to defend his rights or to defend
> public institutions and
> liberal arts or ethnic studies departments.

Agreed.

Churchill is only a little fish that
> we can sacrifice to fry our bigger
> anti-privatization fish. Only by proclaiming our
> respectability can we win the really important
> battles.

Respectabilty? Yes and they will put you on Scarborough Country and set you as an example of the fact that there are one or two honest, "respectable" liberals. They do this with Democrats who sometimes vote for their measures.

Thomas ---

===== <<Furthermore, we must ask what does the dialectician want? What does this will which wills the dialectic want? It is an exhausted force which does not have the strength to affirm its difference, a force which no longer acts but rather reacts to the forces which dominate it-only such a force brings to the foreground the negative element in its relation to the other. Such a force denies all that it is not and makes this negation its own essence and the principle of its existence.>> -Gilles Deleuze "Nietzche & Philosophy"