[lbo-talk] Re Seditious Conspiracy/Stewart

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 12:05:11 PST 2005

Stewart could reasonably be expected to be punished in some way for violating a gag order. It was an act of civil disobedience,a nd people who commit CD usually expect to suffer some consequences The usual penalty for something like that is a contempt of court citation. You can even be convicted of criminal contempt. That is very different from a conviction for material aid to terrorsm chartge that carries a 20 year sentence. What is disgraceful is the misuse of the antiterrorism laws to disproportionately punish a routine violation of a gag order -- believe me, this stuff happens all the time, and normally you just get a stern lecture from the judge, not even a contempt citation. A weekend in the clink would be unusually harsh punishment for she did if thsi were any other case. It's terrible to treat this as a real crime. It's chilling. jks