[lbo-talk] Re Seditious Conspiracy/Nullification

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 19:17:23 PST 2005

Overlimit, so I will be brief. Judges don't instruct juries on nullification or permit attorneys to mention it because the judge's job is to enforce the law, not to suggest that it's oK to ignbore the law,w hich is what JN is.

A "defense" is a legally permitted argument that (a) you didn't do it, or (b) you did it but was justified, or (c) there is some procedural reason that the prosecution can't make an argument that did do it (for example the evidence should be suppressed.).

Coerced confessions are inadmissable under due process. Byt the defense has to make the objection that the confession was coerced (or it is waived) and persuade the judge taht thsi is true. The system is not foolproof and many people whose confessions are coerced, some of them guilty, are in prison on that evidence.

I think JN is rarely used because most jurors want to follow the law,a nd would notnullify even if tyhey thought it was an option. There is empirical research taht ordinary citizens follows the law because it's the law.

http://ideas.repec.org/p/ces/ceswps/_651.html

This is the standard study:

Why People Obey the Law', Tom R. Tyler

(