[lbo-talk] Nothing but the facts... (was Churchill something...)

Gary? slade.g at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:40:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:17:15 -0800 (PST), Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Speaking of facts, I did some web searching on smallpox but never
> posted the results because I was `just following orders'....
>
> Since the topic is still up on the list I'll summarize some of the more
> interesting facts.

don't forget how effective us Brits were : At the time of the Pontiac rebellion in 1763, Sir Jeffrey Amherst, the Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in North America, wrote to Colonel Henry Bouquet: 'Could it not be contrived to send smallpox among these disaffected tribes of Indians? We must use every stratagem in our power to reduce them.' The colonel replied: 'I will try to inoculate the [Native American tribe] with some blankets that may fall in their hands, and take care not to get the disease myself.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/coldwar/pox_weapon_01.shtml

Gary? ride si sapis