[lbo-talk] Mordor Doesn't Compute

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Feb 18 08:21:01 PST 2005

joanna bujes wrote:
> I'm sure this varies with person and locale, but I wonder how many
> engineers would prefer to go back home? I have never been to India and
> do not know how it compares to the U.S. It must be more civilized. It
> can hardly be less.

well, depends on what you mean by civilized...

w.r.t returning to india: i would guess that the majority of indians would prefer to stay here. life in the US (big house, multiple cars, etc) is the indian middle class dream. plus there are the mundane issues of corruption, pollution, etc to deal with in india.

on the positive side, there is family in india. and real friends. i mean people you can take a short walk and visit, impromptu. and now there is serious money and career. two of my co-workers are returning to india (on their own choice, rather than the droves of h-1s who were forced out

when the bubble burst) this week, to work at networking startups. its quite possible they will end up wealthier (in dollars) than they could have ever become here.

--ravi