[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 09:40:30 PST 2005

At 09:12 AM 2/18/2005, Chip Berlet wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I really agree with Carrol Cox on this. The lessons of Witch Hunts is
>that it is crucial not to start cutting off your political colleagues one
>by one, no matter how much it seems politically expedient to do
>so. Making clear your own views and disagreements with others is one
>thing, but if we let the political right determine the boundaries of our
>movement, we are cutting holes in our own liferaft. We are in this
>together. Carrol Cox makes me crazy sometimes, but if he was targetted by
>a smear campaign I would expect all of us to rise up in his defense as a
>matter of principle. Ward is not the first to be targeted and he will not
>be the last. We are entering an ugly period in political life here in the
>U.S. Ask yourself what a progressive historian will say in fifty years
>about how we stood together or fell one by one.
>
>No More Witch Hunts!

Chip, exactly HOW was MY post an effort to start a witch hunt. That's the problem. And what about the way Carrol categorized Newman, Pug, and others as embarassing leftists who are best put in along with provacateurs?

Kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling