[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 18 14:44:00 PST 2005

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu, Fri Feb 18 13:27:21 PST 2005:
>>In original witch-hunts in history, there were no witches in the
>>sense that there wasn't a single person in possession of satanic
>>powers that witch hunters attributed to witches. In contrast, in
>>modern witch-hunts, for instance one hunting down members of the
>>Communist Party, some of the targets of attacks were indeed
>>"innocent" in the sense that they were not and had never been
>>members of the Communist Party nor were they Communists in any
>>other sense, but the majority of targets were indeed Communists in
>>belief or membership or both, who were not "innocent" in the eyes
>>of the
>
>I almost wrote in and said, in reply to snit, that Yoshie isn't
>embarrassing, she's didactic and Thomist/always correct. I didn't,
>but, lo and behold, you write this two hours later. Have you ever
>been wrong? I don't count CP members as "guilty." I count those
>who endorse terrorism. I'm talking about objective, in-itself
>innocence, not "innocence" from the perspective of the witch-hunters.

Some complain if statements are incorrect; others complain if they are correct. :-0

Anyhow, in your opinion, endorsing terrorism makes one objectively guilty and endorsing the Soviet Union under Stalin, which most Communists did at one time, makes one objectively innocent. It is certainly possible to make a case that nothing good can possibly come from terrorism while the Soviet Union under Stalin at the very least contributed a few precious things to mankind, including most importantly its contribution to the defeat of fascists, but that's a case that one must make politically, without expecting others to automatically accept the distinction as objective. Rather, expect them to argue that endorsing the Soviet Union under Stalin is worse than endorsing terrorism, as Stalin's state terror objectively took a larger toll than all non-state terrorist attacks combined.

When Paula Zahn asked Ward Churchill pointblank, "you're against terrorism?" Churchill replied, "I am against terrorism" (February 4, 2005,<http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0502/04/pzn.01.html>). I don't know if that's Churchill retreating from the thrust of his 9/11 essay or clarifying what he intended to say but failed to get across in the essay, but, even if the former is the case, certainly people are allowed to change their minds, and in fact they are encouraged to do so, if they are changing for the better.

However, it would have been an interesting test of free speech and academic freedom in the United States if Churchill had said that he in fact justified some forms of terrorism, for justifying terrorism (whether particular terrorist attacks or terrorism in the abstract as one means among other violent means), as well as justifying war (whether particular wars or war in the abstract), is supposedly protected by the First Amendment.

In fact, Ted Honderich (<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/>, Professor Emeritus, Philosophy, University College London) declared his "commitment to the moral right of the Palestinians to their terrorism of resistance" (<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/Being_Palestinian.html>). I've yet to read his provocatively titled book _Terrorism For Humanity: Inquiries in Political Philosophy_ (University of Michigan Press, <http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=114538>, 2003), but he has made his essays and interviews on the same topic available on the Net: e.g.,

There have been attacks on Honderich ("a campaign was begun of which the aim of was to have the college take down the website at which you are looking"), but they have been comparatively milder than ones on Churchill and other left-wing professors in the United States, and Honderich withstood them easily and came out triumphant: "The articles about Ted Honderich contained falsehoods and false implications, and were in the opinion of his lawyers, Farrer & Co., and Mr. Julian Pike in particular, defamatory and inflammatory. One implication was of anti-Semitism. As a result, London Student agreed to apologise, which it did, and to print a considerable reply, and to refrain from repeating various allegations. It has also agreed to pay Professor Honderich's considerable legal costs" ("Ted Honderich and the Newspaper _LondonStudent_," <http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/LondonStudent.html>). I gather that there is more room for freedom of speech in the United Kingdom than in the United States, despite the fact that the latter has better legal guarantees for free speech than the former. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>