[lbo-talk] Churchill - the issue is academic freedom

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:15:49 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:12:35 -0600, Thomas Brown <browntf at hal.lamar.edu> wrote:
> Gar wrote:
> >If you value academic freedom, arguments over the Churchill's essay or
> >the value of his scholarship are counterproductive - regardless of
> >viewpoint.
>
> Academic freedom does not protect fabrications, any more than
> the Bill of Rights protects libel or slander.
>
> >Criticism of Churchill, even completely justified criticism, made at
> >this moment contributes to his being fired for uttering unpopular
> >opinions.
>
> John Lavelle published his exposes of Churchill's plagiarism
> and fabrication back in the 90s. This is nothing new. The fact
> that the university and the state tolerated it for so long will
> work in Churchill's defense.
>
> Churchill is in very little danger here. The CO governor and
> legislature have made it clear that he is being fired for insulting
> the 9/11 victims, and that they are looking for any excuse
> to violate his contract.
>
> In other words, a good lawyer should have no trouble defending
> Churchill. I think the worst that will happen to Churchill is that
> he takes early retirement and a six figure parting gift from the
> CO taxpayers. He may well keep his job.
>
> Save your energy for the folks who get fired without compensation,
> or even jailed. That is where free speech is under attack. Churchill
> put himself in this situation, he's thriving on it, and he is very
> unlikely to get hurt by it.

I think you are being reckless if you assume that in this climate his being fired is impossible - especially since you have called public attention to a good excuse. I don't think his being fired You mentioned in the comment section of the Crooked Timber blog that you had been working on this for two years. I don't know how long this type of "investigation" takes, but surely it will over within months. What would it have hurt you to wait those few months, rather than publish at a moment they were seeking to fire him (as you acknowledge) for his opinions? If you are wrong, and he is in fact fired, then your essay will have helped ensure that a tenured academic with unpopular opinions was fired for those opinions - regardless of the truth or falsity of your essay. If that happens do you really think it won't add to precedent and make it easier to go after the next unpopular academic.

Back in the days when literal lynching happened more frequently than today, quite often a local paper would print an editorial stirring up rage and hatred against the soon to be hanged victim. Much of the time the editorial would consist of lies and slander. Occasionally it would describe a horrible crime the future victim had actually committed. In either case, knowing that a lynch mob was stirring, the

paper was complicit. You seem to be arguing in the case of this metaphorical lynching that the local Sheriff is tough enough, and has enough integrity to protect the prisoner.