[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 14:20:23 PST 2005

> One of my criteria is that I will not debate with anyone who ascribes
> motives to others in the debate. Those subject to that fatal error
> divide roughly into two groups. One of the groups (the majority) only
> commit this error some of the time; other times they respond to
> arguments rather than people.
>
> Carrol

How does anyone get the label provocateur unless someone ascribes that motive to them? I guess they could tell everyone there a provocateur but that would seem odd and highly unlikely.

If you will not debate with anyone who has ever ascribed motives to another in that debate you must spend a great deal of time debating with the deceased. How do you arrive at personal decisions if you can't even debate a subject with yourself?

I questioned if Thomas Browns motives for timing his assault on Churchill weren't opportunistic in the extreme. So did Doug I believe. Does this mean you can't debate with me anymore? That would make me sad. When you're not being bombastic and misanthropic you can add a lot to a lively discussion. (Should I put one of those emoticons here even if I'm only half joking?)

John Thornton