[lbo-talk] Churchill - the issue is academic freedom

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 15:11:34 PST 2005

> I am glad Thomas Brown joined the list to explain his motives. He's
> removed any doubt about where he stands.
>
> Doug

You must be refering to this gem from Brown:

"I published in the midst of the right-wing firestorm only because my findings would not have been taken seriously before. I'm getting support I don't want from the right, and I'm getting uninformed ad hominem criticism from the left. Sometimes the world is upside down."

I doubt I could find a better example of opportunism were I to go searching for one. It must be quite an ego boost to know how, in spite of criticism from the left and support from the right, you're furthering the cause of progressives everywhere and everyone else is simply too dense to see the wisdom in your path.

If they ever come for you Thomas rest assured I will do what I can to aid you. I wish I were confident that the converse were true.

John Thornton